The Elections Committee is an elected body of students elected from the General Meeting who are responsible for the running of the elections in collaboration with the Deputy Returning Officer.The committee comprises of 5 students and one member of Union staff. details of these are within the minutes of the meetings below.
The Elections Committee is delegated powers by the Returning Officer,General Meeting and Trustees Board to be responsible for the following:
- ensuring that all candidates adhere to the rules as set out in this Schedule;
- consideration of complaints through the procedure laid out in Section 4 below;
- taking action to tackle and if required, reprimand breeches of this Schedule;
- promotion of the election and referenda process, both before and during the elections, as well as acting in a neutral way to raise election turnout and engagement;
- deciding the timetable of elections and referenda within the parameters of the Constitution and this Schedule;
- the acceptance of nominations and the determination and publication of valid nominations;
- ensuring that submitted manifestos are collected, handled, printed and returned to candidates in a fair and proper manner and are in accordance with the Union’s Equal Opportunities Policy as set out in the Constitution;
- overseeing coverage of all elections by the Union media and ensuring that all such coverage is fair, balanced, and provides equal exposure to all candidates, as far as reasonably practicable;
- overseeing the procedure and running of hustings within the period of the election and ensuring candidate have equal representation as far as reasonably possible.
The Committee will meet as and when required and the minutes of the meeting are listed below: